|2017-18 Result||2018-19 Result||2019-20 Target||2019-20 Result|
|Employee engagement index Expressed as a percentage of satisfaction.||Pulse Survey Conducted||>2018-19 result||Independent Review*|
|Inclusion index |
Expressed as a percentage of the extent to which employees feel that the work environment is inclusive of all employees.
|Pulse Survey Conducted||38%||>2018-19 result||Independent Review*|
Source: Airservices 2019-20 Corporate Plan, page 29.
* A thorough independent cultural review was conducted, therefore our usual internal survey was not conducted this year.
** The methodology for the KPIs was adapted from a 5-point to a 7-point scale. This change enabled a more accurate analysis to identify opportunities and improvements, and better aligned with comparative industry benchmarking.
In May 2020, we released the report A Review of Culture at Airservices Australia, following a broad and independent review of our workplace culture undertaken by Elizabeth Broderick & Co.
The report was prepared following extensive consultation with our people over the previous nine months, including the administration of an organisation-wide survey. Our people also participated in focus groups, interviews and provided written submissions.
The review team found a number of positive elements of our culture, including our commitment to a strong safety culture, the commitment of individuals to the jobs they perform, and the contributions they make daily to aviation safety.
However, the review team also found there are distinct areas of culture that require immediate action and reform.
Given the comprehensive nature of this review, we did not conduct the regular Employee Opinion Survey this year.
Our commitment to our people ensures we are safe and secure, valued and accountable, efficient and commercial, agile and innovative.
- Committed to a comprehensive action plan in response to the independent review to drive the necessary reform of our culture. By the end of the reporting period a number of these actions had been achieved or substantially progressed, including:
- establishing a Culture Reform Board to oversee the implementation of our commitments
- launching a communications campaign to educate our people on the nature and impacts of unacceptable workplace behaviour
- undertaking the design work on Airservices Safe Place – an independent unit designed to provide our people with a compassionate and human-centred response to negative workplace behaviours.
- Appointed a Chief People and Culture Officer to strengthen and support our Executive team.
- Established a dedicated Culture Program to drive longer-term cultural reform.
- Early in the COVID-19 pandemic, we moved our operational workforce to resilience rosters and the majority of our support functions to work remotely.
- Sustaining our focus on the health and wellbeing of our people during the COVID-19 pandemic, including conducting Weekly Wellbeing Checks of the workforce to gather data and shape the right support mechanisms for employees and their immediate families.